Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebrations
Monday, January 16,
The Colorado State University, Fort Collins and Loveland communities will celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day with several events Jan. 16, 2012 thru January 20, 2012. The theme of this year's celebration is "Fulfill the Dream: Share Your Voice."
Admission to all events is free.
- Monday, January 16, 11 a.m. - Community march - Meet at Old Town Square and join others in a procession to the Lory Student Center. Transportation will be available back to Old Town.
- Monday, January 16, 11:45 a.m. - Martin Luther King Jr. celebration featuring Poudre School District winners from the essay/poetry contest. Immediately after the celebration, there will be a volunteer fair held in the Lory Student Center Food Court.
- Monday, January 16 - Loveland's MLK Day Celebration, Thompson Valley High School, 1669 Eagle Drive, Loveland. For more info, contact Dick Barton.
- Thursday, January 19, Noon-1:30 p.m. - The film, "Brick by Brick: A Civil Rights Story," will be shown in the Lory Student Center, Room 224-226. The film shows that segregation has been as virulent and persistent in the North as in the South, and it, too, has resulted from deliberate public policies based in deep-rooted racial predjudice. The film examines the bitter struggle over equal housing rights in Yonkers, New York during the 1980s to show the "massive resistence" the Civil Rights movement came up against as it moved North.
- Friday, Jan. 20, 3:30-5 p.m. - Preacher Moss will give an "End of Racism" workshop in Lory Student Center, Room 203-205.
- Friday, Jan. 20, 8:30 p.m. - Preacher Moss presents the “End of Racism Comedy Tour" in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom. "The objective of "End of Racism" is to carefully put a smile in the hearts of all brothers and sisters, thus developing a dialogue whereby we see the essential need to put the "human" back into "humanity." The "End of Racism" was once a tour, became a movement, and now we seek to make the "End of Racisim " a reality."
Event Contact: Lance Wright
Sponsored by Colorado State University